History of the Athens College of Ministry
Our college was established by its founding trustees with the Georgia Secretary of State in the fall of 2009, in answer to God’s call to meet an unfulfilled need in the greater Athens area—to provide local, hands-on equipping for effective Christian ministry. Originally named the Athens School of Ministry & Worship Arts, the institution received its federal non-profit (501c3) status in September of 2010.
With the availability of leased space in a new building belonging to Watkinsville First United Methodist Church, ASM&WA opened its doors in the fall of 2012 to its first seven degree-seeking students under religious exemption from the Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (GNPEC). When the college received its full GNPEC authorization in August of 2015, it officially changed its name with the Georgia Secretary of State to the Athens College of Ministry (ACMin).
In April 2017, ACMin qualified for accreditation candidacy with the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges & Schools (TRACS), a CHEA and DOE approved postsecondary accrediting commission. The college is beginning its eighth academic year with the 2019 fall semester.
Click here to see our 2012-2017 5 Year Celebration Powerpoint video!
Where We’re Headed
The Athens College of Ministry has purchased a 114-acre property on Barnett Shoals Road, located on the old Green Hills Golf Course and Country Club property. Our vision is for that property to become our new campus for the college and for it to be a place where our students, staff and faculty will be equipped and empowered to both encounter and serve the Lord. Our hope is to also utilize the property as a recreation and retreat center to serve and bless the church and the community of the greater Athens area.
Click here to see our vision for the development of the new campus!
(706) 769-1479 fax
PO Box 7953
Athens, GA 30604